Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 40

Last night I had my very first Girl Scout Service Unit meeting. A Service Unit encompasses all of the troops in that area...from Daisies to Senior scouts. Its all the leaders and/or co-leaders. We get together once a month and discuss things going on, the coordinators let us know about events going on and deadlines we need to meet. I was a little nervous going into the meeting, because I didn't know a soul, never meet anyone face to face only spoke to a few either on the phone or email.

A sign in sheet was being passed around as the meeting started. when it got to me, I signed it then had to get up to pass it to the table behind me. As I got up, Sandy (the woman running the meeting last night) says "and I would like to introduce our newest leader, Lisa." with that, I am standing...I really just needed to pass the sign in sheet to the next table. I say that I didn't mean to stand that I was just passing the paper to the next table. I know I had the "deer-in-headlights" look on my face. Everyone just clapped and laughed at my remark. They made me feel very welcome. After the meeting, so many of the ladies came up to me to welcome me to scouting and tell me that if I needed any help to call them.

Now to an "untrained eye"...LOL...you would think this would go without saying, being that Girl Scouts should always be helpful right? Wrong! With my last troop SU meeting, I never felt welcomed. Never got any help. So, to get this type of reception was a 180 degree turn for me!! I even volunteered to help a Senior troop leader do a "Back to Basics" camping type training for the unit.

I told Harry that I think I am going to be VERY involved in this GS thing! He just laughed and said why should it be any different than anything else that you do. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you got a warm welcome. Are you still having trouble uploading pics?